Before you Sponsor a Pilgrim
Before you sponsor a pilgrim, you must attend a Fourth Day Workshop. These are held at various times throughout the year, and in various locations. Fourth Day workshops held by either Maryland Emmaus or Maryland Chrysalis will fulfill this requirement
The second thing you must do before sponsoring a pilgrim is PRAY! Sponsorship is a calling from the Lord. It requires a sacrifice of prayer and time both in preparation for a weekend and as you follow-up with your pilgrim. It is also a sacrifice of finances on the part of the team and sponsor. Before considering sponsorship, be reminded that the purpose of the Walk to Emmaus is to foster Christian leadership within the local Church. Although healing can occur, it is not meant to be a weekend for healing personal difficulties and broken marriages. Emmaus is not meant to be a tool for evangelism - it is for those already in the family of God.
The third thing you should remember is that it is assumed that sponsors are active members of the Maryland Emmaus Community themselves. All sponsors are encouraged to attend a monthly Gathering, to be grouping, and to faithfully serve in their home churches.
Before Asking a Pilgrim:
- Pray and follow God's leading before asking anyone to attend an Emmaus weekend.
- Follow the guidelines on who (a Christian, active member in church) should attend an Emmaus weekend and review the suggestions on the Upper Room Walk to Emmaus webpage or contact a board member if you are unsure.
To Get an Application for a Pilgrim:
The easiest way to pick up an application is at a Gathering! Applications for Chrysalis and Emmaus weekends are always available at monthly Gatherings. Please check our Gatherings page for dates and locations!
If you have not been on a Flight or a Walk OR have not attended a Fourth Day Workshop sponsored by either Maryland Emmaus or Chrysalis, you can not sponsor a pilgrim and your pilgrim's application will be returned.
Steppingstone/Wo-Me-To Eastern Marlyand - Denise McGheeis our pilgrim registrar. She is more than willing to help you in the process of registering your pilgrim. Contact Denise if you have any questions regarding space availability for a particular weekend. Please send PILGRIM APPLICATIONS TO: Denise McGhee, 2920 Smithson Dr. Forest Hill, MD 21050. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mar-Lou Ridge Western Maryland - Denise Lewis is our pilgrim registrar. She is more than willing to help you in the process of registering your pilgrim. Contact Denise if you have any questions regarding space availability for a particular weekend. Please send PILGRIM APPLICATIONS TO: Denise Lewis, PO Box 1223 Westminster, MD 21158. Email: email@example.com
COST: All applications should be submitted with the required deposit. As you contribute towards the cost of a weekend, remember our costs have gone up. READ YOUR SPONSOR'S LETTER! It will verify our costs for the weekend and the donation that should be IN HAND when you bring your pilgrim on Thursday night. If for some reason you need assistance in covering the donation for your pilgrim, please contact one of the Board members ahead of time. Scholarships are available, but it is helpful if you ask in advance! Finances should never be an issue in considering whether to sponsor a pilgrim. We will work together as a Community to bring God's choices of pilgrims to our weekends; any financial assistance given will be confidential!
Sponsor's Checklist: BEFORE the Weekend:
- READ everything (acknowledgement, invitation, and reconfirm letter) sent to you by the Pilgrim Registrar, EVEN IF you have sponsored someone before.
- Inform the Head CHA if there are any medical or dietary needs BEFORE the weekend starts.
- Explain the spiritual nature of the Walk to Emmaus (spiritual Christian renewal and no secrets - only surprises) and answer any questions your pilgrim has about the weekend.
- Make contacts for personal agape. Click here for a sample Agape letter
- Be sure to do your own agape and placemats.
- Make arrangements with your pilgrim for Thursday evening. Take them to dinner, and arrive at the retreat site at about 7:00 p.m.
- Check that your pilgrim has all necessary medications, toiletries, etc.
- Bring a supply of your pilgrim's favorite snacks and drink.
- Attend Sponsor's Hour: bring the balance of the retreat payment and/or ensure that funds are provided if there is a need.
- Give your phone number and other contact information to the pilgrim's family in case they need assistance over the weekend.
Sponsor's Checklist: DURING the weekend:
- PRAY! God is working! This is the most important thing you can do!
- Attend the Sunday morning and afternoon "Special Events." If you are uncertain of the time, check with the Team upon your arrival on Thursday.
- Take your pilgrim out for dinner on your way home Sunday evening.
- Listen and pray some more.
Sponsor's Checklist: AFTER the Weekend:
- Attend the Reunion Gathering for your pilgrim's weekend. Assist them with transportation if needed.
- Remind your pilgrim to read through all the information in the Fourth Day Packet.
- Assist your pilgrim in finding a reunion group.
- Remind your pilgrim of Fourth Day workshops on the calendar so that they can be on a Team and/or sponsor a pilgrim.
- Don't stop praying!
Friday agape MUST be able to fit in the agape bag. Bed agape must be "generic" (i.e. for everyone). Please do not send personalized bed agape for pilgrims! Agape not meeting these requirements will be given to your pilgrim on Sunday afternoon. This will be more strictly enforced than in the past. Please be kind to the Team and follow this policy! Thanks.
Driving Directions: Emmaus Weekends
Camp Wo-me-to: (Steppingstone weekends) From Baltimore Beltway (I-695) take I-95 north to MD 24, north to Rocks State Park, turn left on Rocks Chrome Hill Rd.; pass Park Office, turn right on Knopp Rd., continue to Camp entrance.
3200 Mar Lu Ridge Road
Jefferson MD 21755
Take I-70 West toward Frederick, MD. Take Exit 52 (Route 15 South/340
West). After approximately 6 miles, follow the left lane exit to
Route 15 South
toward Leesburg, VA. After approximately 2 miles, make first right onto
Mountville Rd. (at the blinking light), then follow “From Mountville Rd
From Washington, DC
Take I-270 North to Frederick, MD and merge onto I-70 West. Take Exit 52
(Route 15 South/340 West) off I-70 West. After approximately 6 miles, follow
the left lane exit to Route 15 South toward Leesburg, VA. After
approximately 2 miles, make first right onto Mountville Rd. (at the blinking
light), then follow “From Mountville Rd Directions” below.
From Mountville Road**
Cabins/Chapel - Once on Mountville Road, go 0.6 miles to Mar-Lu-Ridge Road.
Turn left onto Mar-Lu-Ridge Rd. Office is 1.9 miles up the road. Chapel is
approximately 2.5 miles from Mountville Rd.